Racism is a luxury

Racism is a luxury
Know your privilege. Be sensible. Think before you act

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Henna : More Than Just a Pretty Design?

Just as if temporary tattoos weren't enough, henna booths began flooding all sorts of festivals alike across the world in the last decade or so. It's almost as if once the stuff touches your skin, you need to get more — and let's be thankful it isn't permanent. I went through a similar phase last summer, when I was introduced to the stuff at a pride festival.

You can't deny that this is art

From what I understood back then, although henna was primarily a South-East Asian invention, it's popularity lead it to be commonly enjoyed throughout the world without a problem. Henna tattoos are made by crushing leaves of the henna plant (Lawsonia inermis) an making a paste, which then stains the skin in whatever pattern it is applied in. In fact, there is even a similar South American practice with the jagua plant (Genipia americana). Crushing up plant bits and making tattoos can't be all that special, right?
Westernized henna, used in non-Indian patterns as temporary tattoos
Here are two South American women with jagua tattoos
Well, let's say there's a little bit of controversy and disagreement on this subject. Despite how Westernized henna has become, it also has a long history of use on women during Hindu weddings. Also called mehendi, Hindu deities are even seen wearing it in some depictions, and it's used in various Hindu celebrations and fasts.
A beautiful Indian bride receives henna, as a traditional custom in Hindu weddings

Many may argue that even though henna is a symbolic Hindu practice, a religion born in India, henna was a practice in North Africa and the Middle-East before. This leaves an interesting question for many people : is henna on non-Hindu women considered offensive?

Personally, I'd say that henna has reached such a popularity worldwide that it has lost much of it's Hindu traditional meaning. As long as you don't try to replicate Indian/Hindu designs without knowing what they mean, I don't really see much of a problem, since henna had history long before it became a Hindu practice. To me, I see it as drinking wine ; even though wine is symbolically used in Christianity as the body of Christ, who's to tell you that you can't drink it for pleasure? Have any of my readers had an experience with henna, and what would you have to say about it?

Sources : "What Is the Historical and Religious Significance of Mehendi in Hinduism?" About.com Religion & Spirituality. Web. 20 Jan. 2016.
"Not Ready For A Tattoo? Try Jagua Gel Instead." XOVain. Web. 20 Jan. 2016



8 comments:

  1. Wow Dante! This blog was very informative! I knew nothing about the history of henna tatoos before. I think that it is so cool that they are used at Hindu weddings. They are so beautiful and intricate. I've gotten a henna before of an infinity sign with love written in cursive and I saw nothing wrong with this. You compared henna to wine in your post and I disagree with what you said. To begin, the wine does not "represent" or "symbolize" the body of Christ. To Catholics, the transubstantiated wine IS the blood of Christ. Before the wine is transformed into blood on the alter during mass, it is just wine. It has no meaning. It is only when it is transubstantiated that it becomes the blood of Christ. Drinking wine for pleasure is not the same as Westernized henna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hadn't known that about wine, as I'm not particularly religious or Christian, so I apologize for any lack of congruity in my analogy. My main point was to express how even though henna does have a religious importance for some, it's origins are non-religious in nature and therefore I wouldn't consider it appropriation. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Holy moly Dante! I couldn't agree more! I consider myself as a henna artist:) I bought some henna paste online and do henna all the time on my friend, it's a really cool hobby and its a lot of fun. I do believe that before people do it, they should know at least a tiny bit of henna back round. And if someone decides to get a big wavy and hard design, it would be a good idea to know what it is, but if it's just an elephant and a flower, I don't thinks its necessary to know what it means. Thanks a lot for this blog it super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this post about the beautiful art. I have always wanted to get a henna, not only because it is pretty, but because there is a meaning behind every one. Not many are aware that there is a meaning and a history behind henna, which sucks. But this post explains everything I was curious about, and I will recommend this post to my friends who are as curious as I am! Great post, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed learning about henna and it's history. Learning about what plant it uses and things like that. Also being someone who recently used it for the first time not to long ago it's nice to know a little more about it. Lastly i liked your exemple with the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never had henna but i agree that it's very pretty and I've seen it used for weddings and it's incredible. I didn’t know that henna was practiced in north africa and middle eastern before it was practiced in India. I think henna is very interesting and i learned a lot reading this post. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this blog I liked learning the history behind it and how it is made. I have never actually gotten henna thought I have always wanted to. I did see it get done and let me tell you it takes real steady hands and crazy skill to actually to accomplish, it really is art. Thank you so much for informing me on this topic I was always curious. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic blog about a subject I was completely ignorant of before. I wonder, is wearing a kilt appropriation, or has that too become socially acceptable?
    A few small issues:
    - Unclear logic at times (You explain the important of censoring a word in your 3rd post, yet you use this exact word in the caption for one of your images.)
    - Spelling/ grammar (“are almost exclusively worn men” vs by men, descend vs descent, its vs it’s, etc.)
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete